The season of excess is fast approaching. No need to panic. We asked some of our top skincare professionals with whom we work to weigh-in on the following question: What’s your best advice for protecting skin health and beauty during the holiday season?
Listen to what the pros tell us:
Everyone knows that staying hydrated is essential, during holidays and year-round. Your skin is your body’s largest organ, and it functions optimally when it is properly hydrated. But keeping your skin hydrated on the surface is not enough. It’s akin to watering the leaves of a plant but not the soil and roots! Slathering the average thick cream on you face before bedtime might feel good, but how far below the surface does it hydrate? The pros we talk with prefer creams that penetrate deep, like those with a liposome delivery system. Also, they suggest products that introduce various emollients, humectants, and occlusives at each of the three stages of your skin routine:
- Cleanse: Go beyond merely removing dirt and debris from the skin’s surface. Hydrating should begin with cleansing. Apply products that both nourish and hydrate without harshly stripping the skin of its natural oils. Hint: Cleansers with these dual-action qualities are fairly sophisticated, science-based products.
- Tone: After cleansing, tone the skin to prepare it for the remaining treatment steps. This is an opportunity to not only prep the skin but infuse it with effective hydrating ingredients that will build on the moisture added during cleansing. Look for Hyaluronic Acid; it attracts and binds 1,800 times its weight in water and is an ideal moisturizing ingredient.
- Hydrate: Here’s your chance to lock in key moisturizing ingredients and begin the repair process. A sophisticated moisturizer will perform 3 key functions: attract, bond, and trap moisture.
2. Address Inflammation before it starts.
Late nights can lead to dull, tired skin. The best preventive action: Prepare your skin now by introducing antioxidants and Supplamine®. These ingredients are designed to intercept inflammation that robs your skin of moisture and leads to accelerated aging.
3. Prepare for the festivities with a professional facial treatment.
Our Authorized Clinical Partners are best-in-class skincare professionals. Hydrating facials, microdermabrasion, microneedling, and laser treatments can all help the cell turn-over process, revealing fresh, healthy skin. This allows effective product penetration and allows active ingredients to be properly delivered.
4. Choose your second helping of tastylicious holiday treats wisely.
Don’t let too much food—especially desserts—lead to an about-face in your regimen. Sugary treats lead to AGE’s in the skin, and salty snacks can result in a puffy morning face.
5. Apply makeup to a healthy canvas for a flawless finish.
Dry, dull skin never provides the proper surface for a flawless makeup application. Skip the primer and opt for a double-duty product: MEG 21 Smooth Radiance Advanced Formula. It provides both immediate hydration and an advanced delivery system that allows the cream to gradually and deeply penetrate. You’ll avoid a greasy layer of product on the surface. And, your makeup will glide on and stay put all night. After the festivities, don’t forget to moisturize after you remove your makeup. Your face will thank you in the morning.
Pay attention to these 5 tips and you’ll enjoy the holidays confident in your beauty.